Two Dead, Three Arrested for killing Cop in Bulawayo

By Delicious Mathuthu

Bulawayo – The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has confirmed the arrest of three suspects connected to the murder of a police officer and a series of armed robbery cases in Bulawayo, and deaths of two suspects after a shootout with police.

The suspects, identified as Mandlenkosi Albert Munangati (26), Clifford Desmond Nare (33), and Thabo Dube (24), were apprehended following extensive investigations.

ZRP National Spokesperson Commissioner Paul Nyathi, said the suspects are implicated in the murder of Sergeant Abel Masava, who was shot dead in Sizinda, Bulawayo, at around 12:30 am on March 28, 2025.

The murder weapon, which had been recovered by police, was among a cache of firearms seized during the arrest.

Speaking on the arrests, Commissioner Nyathi recommended public cooperation in solving crimes in the country.

“The Zimbabwe Republic Police commends the public for providing vital information that led to the capture of these dangerous criminals.

“The fight against armed robbery syndicates will continue relentlessly, and the law will take its course without fear or favour,” he said.

The investigation into the murder commenced on March 30, 2025, when detectives received intelligence linking a Honda Fit vehicle (registration number AGG 8380) to the murder and multiple armed robbery cases in the city.

After tracing the vehicle, police apprehended Mandlenkosi Albert Munangati, who subsequently implicated his co-accused.

Further investigations led to the discovery of five firearms, including a National Browning pistol, a Blow F92 Blank pellet gun, a Long Rifle 12GA, a Vizor Pistol, a shotgun, and a sword.

During the operation, two additional suspects, Sipho Ncube (24) and Dumisani Ndlovu (32), attempted to evade arrest and engaged in a shootout with detectives along Harrow Street, Saucetown.

The pair sustained critical injuries and died upon admission to the United Bulawayo Hospitals.

The trio has been linked to at least 25 armed robbery cases in Bulawayo, spanning from April 2024 to March 2025.

One notable incident occurred on December 28, 2024, at a supermarket in New Luveve, where cash and three cell phones were stolen.

Another high-profile robbery took place at a funeral parlour in Kelvin North on February 10, 2025, where the suspects made off with USD 3,608.00, ZAR 21,130.00 and a cellphone.

The suspects are also connected to a robbery at a service station on March 2, 2025, at the intersection of Nketa Drive and Rangemore Road.

In the Nketa Drive incident, a shotgun and a cellphone were taken.

Investigators have identified the group’s primary targets as service stations, liquor outlets, supermarkets, funeral parlours, and gas operators.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *